This article covers the basics of designing a template for Email Marketing campaigns, like a Single Send campaign. Find our full instructions on how to send Single Send email campaigns in this article.
Create your Email Template
From the Edit Campaign wizard, click "+ Add Template" and select whether you would like to use a Blank Template or one of your previously created "Customized Templates."
Edit your Template
Once you have selected an Email Template within your Single Send Campaign, click the vertical ellipsis under Options, and select Edit.
You can also edit it from the Templates section of your Project.
The drag and drop options menu is to the left of your page - Content, Rows, and Settings. Select 'Full Screen' to view the Template Builder in full screen view.
Designing Your Email Template
Settings: Edit the Body
By starting with the body, you can choose the main design aspects of your email, and then work backwards to edit the more intricate details of your email.
Click the 'Settings' tab to the left of the editing section.
- Content Area Width: This is used when the device has a screen larger than that width. You can think of it as a "max" width for that content area. On small devices, it will be ignored. Drag the circle along the line to increase or decrease the content width.
- Background Color: Select the background color of your email. You can type in a Hex code, or click on the color box to the left of the Hex code to select your color.
- Content Area Background Color: Select the background color for the content area. This defaults to transparent, or you can choose a color or type in a Hex code.
- Default Font: Choose your default font from the font drop down. This will apply to all content elements in the message.
- Link Color: This defaults to the standard blue. Again, you can type in a Hex code, or click on the color box to the left of the Hex code to select your color.
Note: When you're done editing, be sure to click 'Save design' above the body editor. You'll want to do this often throughout the editing process!
Rows: Edit the Structure
If you've started with an existing template, there will already be a structure as well as content boxes in the email editor. However, you can add more or different structures in this next section.
- Select the 'Rows' tab in the middle of the editing section.
- Here you will see column layouts for your email. Drag and drop your chosen structure layout into the email editor to the left.
- Make sure you're placing your selected row in an area that changes into a blue line and says 'Drag it Here', as seen below.
4. If you want to delete a structure, click on the panel and select the red trashcan to delete.
5. To duplicate the structure, click on the stacked squares, and an identical structure will appear below the original.
6. Click on a structure section to edit the Row Properties to the left.
- Row Background Color: Edit the row background color using the color picker or a Hex code, or keeping it as transparent.
- Content Background Color: Edit the content background color using the color picker or a Hex code, or keeping it as transparent.
- Do not stack on mobile: Select whether you want the rows to stack when viewed on a mobile device.
- Row Background Image: If you want to add a background image for the row instead of using a color, insert the image URL here.
7. Scroll down the editor on the left to edit the Column Properties next.
- Column Background: Select the column background by using the color picker or a Hex code, or keeping it as transparent.
- Padding: Add or remove padding for the column. Padding affects the distance between column elements. Click More Options to edit each side of the column individually.
- Border: Add or remove a border width and select the color of the border using the color picker or a Hex code, or leave the border transparent. Click More Options to edit each border of the column individually.
Once you've edited or added any new structures, click 'Save Design'.
Content: Edit Email Content
Now it's time to really get designing! Drag and drop any of the content blocks into existing structures. Below are all the different options you can edit.
Drag and drop the text box inside any structure to start writing.
The text editor allows you to add written copy, as well as change the font family, size, color, and more.
You can also edit the content box when you select it from inside the structure. The content properties editor will appear to the left with the following options:
Drag and drop the image box into an existing structure. Then, drop an image file from your computer or click Browse to select your image from the File Manager.
Drag and drop a Button to create a CTA and link. Most customers choose "Open web page" and insert the URL to the relevant page.
Once you've edited the text and style of the Button, go to the content properties editor on the left to make more detailed edits.
You can edit the link, Button background color and text color, alignment, line height, border radius, padding, and spacing.
Place this page break anywhere in your email to break up the message or sections.
You can also edit the color, alignment, width, and padding of the page divider in the content properties editor to the left.
5. Social Icons
Drag and drop the Social box to add your social icons to your email template.
Once you've placed it, you can edit the icons, links, and share buttons in the content properties editor to the left.
- Select Icon Collection: Select to change the color and styles of all the icons.
- URL: Edit the URL that links when an icon is clicked.
- Click 'Delete' to remove the icon from the section in your email template.
- Click 'Add New Icon' to select a different social icon to appear in your email.
- Select the Social Share tab to prepare a link that can be shared across different social media platforms.
- Lastly, you can edit the spacing, alignment, and padding of the icons in the content properties editor to the left.
6. Dynamic Content
You can create and add a Countdown timer to your Email template. Drag a Dynamic Content block into a row section. Click the content block, then select Add/ Edit Dynamic Content from the left menu. Customize the timer, then click Add.
Add an HTML block anywhere in your email to manually edit the HTML of the message.
In the content properties editor to the left, an HTML editor will appear.
Note: Using your own code may affect how the message is rendered. Make sure to use correct and responsive HTML, and Preview your Email before sending!
Add a Video content block to a row section, then click the block to add the URL of your video hosted on YouTube or Vimeo.
And as usual, don't forget to save!
Once you've saved your work, click 'Preview' to take a sneak peek of your email. You can also toggle between Desktop and Mobile versions to see how it renders.
Send a Test Email to Yourself
Lastly, before you get ready to send this out, send yourself a test email by clicking the Send Preview button in the top menu bar. A popup modal will appear for you to enter an email address to use for the test.