Last Updated 4/02/19.
What are Ad Tags?
An Ad Tag is a piece of HTML code that a browser uses to pull in an ad creative from an ad server. So, instead of showing a creative directly, it places a 'call' to the ad server that returns with the relevant content in ad form. In Feathr, you can use an Ad Tag instead uploading creatives directly into a campaign.
Simply put, ad Ad Tag is a digital placeholder within which ad content will display. If you're using Ad Tags, they should be provided to you by your agency or digital team in HTML code form.
Please note, we currently only accept HTML5 Ad Tags that resolve into HTML5 creatives. We don't accept the raw HTML5 assets that are used to create such Ad Tags.
How Ad Tags Work in Feathr
Ad Tags are uploaded during the "Creatives" process when launching an Ad Campaign in Feathr. They are used instead of a typical image creative.
Guide to Uploading Ad Tags
1. Login to Feathr, and click "Events" on the left side panel.
2. Click Campaigns underneath your chosen Event.
3. Click "+ Create New Campaign" in the top right corner to launch a new campaign.
4. Fill out the information necessary to the campaign. See more information on launching an Ad Campaign in this article.
5. When you get to the "Creatives" section (Step 5), click "+ Add Creative" and then select "AdTag Creative."
6. When you select "AdTag," a modal appears to fill in the Ad Tag information. Give your Ad Tag a name and select the dimensions of your Ad Tag from the drop down.
Note: Your Ad Tag should already be designed in a specific size, so make sure you choose the correct corresponding size! Hint--if you don't know the size, you should be able to find the specific dimensions somewhere in the code, just search for "width" or "height."
7. Copy your Ad Tag code and paste it into the box.
8. Then, click "@[email protected]" to copy it automatically, and paste it at the very bottom of your code, after the last closing tag. This is required, and dynamically adds the additional tracking code needed for impressions in Feathr.
9. Next, click "@[email protected]" to copy it to your clipboard. This is also required, and dynamically adds the additional tracking code needed for click tracking in Feathr. You'll need to place this somewhere in your Ad Tag code to track the clicks. This can be tricky, as each Ad Tag is created differently, so it's best to search through the articles below to find out where to place @[email protected] specifically.
10. Finish launching your campaign.
Why should I use an Ad Tag?
Using Ad Tags allows you to track your clicks and segment your users through your own tracking tools. It gives an additional layer of tracking and are often used to compare data across platform tracking. Ad Tags are not for everyone, and are typically used by third-party publishers or agencies.
Why do I have to add Feathr tracking macros to my Ad Tag?
The Feathr tracking macros are required so that your impressions and clicks also show up in your Feathr campaign. This helps us ensure your campaign is working correctly, as we don't have access to your Ad Tag tracking otherwise!